Thursday, April 7, 2011

Happy Anniversary!


Photo credit: Camille Jackson

18 years working in the same space is a long time and it is my hope that I retire there. Apr 8 is my wedding anniversary. Every anniversary is an accomplishment for me. No annual bonus in cash just a peace knowing that my hard work has paid off one more year. Sometimes it feels like I should be paid because the work that's involved is so difficult at times.

Anyone who is married knows that wedded bliss exist for a fleeting moment. Marriage takes committment and a great deal of hard work. At this present moment, I'm in a good place in my relationship...thanks to prayer and counselling.  However, it doesn't mean that we agree on everything or smile and laugh all the time. It means that we know our boundaries and we communicate and express our feelings without me calling him an 'ass'! Now that I'm older, I realize that it's important  to strive for a healthy marriage. A healthy marriage fosters a healthy family, and by extension a healthy community.  It's important that we are an example to our children and share our experiences with our friends.

Research has shown that 50% of marriages end in divorce. So far we've beaten the odds. I've learned a lot about myself and I've become a better me. My life experiences are directly related to the choices I make. I choose to be unselfish and humble and to constantly inject positive energy in all my relationships, my marriage is no exception.  Most importantly, God is at the center and our faith creates an anchor. So as we continue on this journey, I pray that we will be blessed with grace, love and good health. Staying in balance and embracing my journey.

Resources:
http://www.healthymarriageinfo.org/
http://family-marriage-counseling.com/

5 comments:

  1. I love this Nic, congrats on the accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much...and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 18 years! Quite an accomplishment! Love that you point out that the basis of a healthy community is a healthy marriage and family. Sometimes we forget that is the foundation. Have you thought about doing a re-commitment ceremony? Unions like yours should be celebrated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awe..happy anniversary to you too...honesty is sooo important. I hear alot of folks only profess bliss all the time...i think that is impossible but then again i am in that 50% you mention above! I know its hard work but you and D make it look easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the love ladies!
    Ann we plan on having a renewal of vows for our 20th. We got married at the JOP in NYC fresh out of college so I'm really looking fwd to that.

    Sharlene it's very hard work. Anyone whose professing bliss at all times has denial issues. No one can be happy ALL the time. But I'm grateful that God has guided us thru many a storm to be in this place at this time. I am content and thankful.

    ReplyDelete