Monday, April 4, 2011

Flight anxiety....

Photo credit: Associated Press (AP)

I had the opportunity to travel to San Francisco with my daughter this past week and was mortified to learn of the Southwest airlines drama. Yet another incident for this mom to worry about! Suffice it to say on my trip back home my mind was racing. I was thinking about all the things I haven't done and haven't said. Yes, I'm one of those moms...I can have an overactive imagination. After about 40 minutes in flight and a glass of chardonnay I convinced myself that I should not worry about the things I have no control over. Flying is still one of the safest forms of transportation.

Upon my return home I learned that the plane lost part of its roof and that holes were discovered in two other planes. Anxiety began to build up once again. Flying is not one of my favorite pastimes but I love to travel. My work and family schedules require me to fly every month for the next 5 months. This might be a great time for me to return to my yoga classes. Yoga enables me to curb anxiety and gain control of my body and my thoughts through deep breathing exercises.

So if you're like me and tend to have an overactive imagination and some flight anxiety, join a yoga class near you. Practice being present when travelling and maintain positive thoughts. Also, know that airline crews are well trained and experienced and we're in good hands. That's why the Southwest crew successfully landed the Boeing 737 at a military base in Yuma, Arizona. So the next time I travel I'll make sure to use these tips I mentioned and if it fails, a glass of wine should do the trick! Be balanced, embrace your journey and Bon Voyage!  

No comments:

Post a Comment