Friday, December 2, 2016

What did you TRY today?



Over the past couple months my husband began floating a new question around our house daily..."What did you try today?" It's so genius and quite a motivating concept.

Fear of failure and fear of rejection can paralyze you. Sometimes kids don't participate in class because they're afraid to be wrong. I know my older kids had that problem in elementary, middle & at times, even high school. So when my husband decided to test this new question, I was sold. I had no idea the impact that it would have on me! We were doing it for the kid.....but it has proven to be very motivating for me. We reward the try. We don't focus heavily on the outcome. The fact that you tried was reason to celebrate.

At dinner we asked our son, "What did you try today? " His response, "I ran for class Vice President but I didn't win." The idea is not to minimize the competitive spirit.  (anyone who knows our family, knows that we're highly competitive and that we play to win). That's why taking the risk to try is so important. Think of the successes we miss out on because we were too afraid to try. If we push ourselves to keep trying knowing that the reward is in the "try", we will win, eventually. So instead of moping around when we try and fail; now we're motivated to get up and try again.


I have been so motivated and eager for the question to be asked at the dinner table because this question rendered me fearless. I made phone calls and showed my vulnerable side in pursuit of closing deals for first quarter 2017.....and it worked! It was all about the try. It caused me to function outside my comfort zone. I also want my son to know that in my try I was nervous, doubtful, scared but I tried anyway; because we celebrate the "try".

As 2016 is coming to a close, I'd like to impress upon you to TRY! Be vulnerable, be nervous, be doubtful......and give yourself permission to TRY. Don't allow fear to paralyze you. TRY and encourage your children to try.

Be bold, be fearless, celebrate the try and embrace your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment