Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Election 2016: A daughter's perspective

          Photo credit: Sierra Armstrong

After all the difficulties I had registering to vote here in Louisiana, I have officially voted in my first Presidential election.
It's overwhelming to finally have the opportunity to show my gratitude for all the blood, sweat, and tears that have gone into securing and protecting this right for me.


However, this is also the first Presidential election since the Voting Rights Act was gutted.  It serves as a reminder of the ongoing voter disenfranchisement and the cyclical nature of oppression. My dad reminded me today to "continue fighting to protect your truth even if it takes your life".

I'm not sure what that will look like for me after today. As my perspective shifts, I'm not sure how long I will be participating in and supporting this process. But today was about saying thank you the best way I know how.

Blogpost written by Sierra Marie Armstong

No comments:

Post a Comment