Photo Credit: Peter J. KlausA deadly heatwave is sweeping through the mid-Atlantic and east coast so it's time to ensure that the entire family is safe. Temperatures will sore to approx 115 deg F. So use the following tips to protect yourself and your family.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Stay hydrated with water or drinks with electrolytes. Coconut water is a great low sugar alternative to sport drinks and has loads of electrolytes.
- If you must work in your garden. Get out very early and tend to your plants or wait for the sun to set but be careful the temps can be very high at these times. Wear a hat and lather on the sunblock.
- Wait for the heat wave to pass before mowing the lawn.
- Take restless kids to an indoor gym or pool for play time. Do not let them play outdoors. Avoid giving them caffeine drinks and soda.
- Need to run errands...take it slow. Move slowly, use the air condition in the car and be sure to carry water with you.
- If you have student athletes like I do...be firm and make sure that they workout in an indoor gym. If practice must take place outside ensure that it's early morning. No energy drinks! They tend to cause de-hydration. If possible, have them take a break from practice. It's not worth the risk!
Hot, dry skin or profuse sweating
High body temperature
Seek medical attention immediately if you or someone you know show any of these symtoms. Be sure to be safe during your weekend activities. Be smart, stay cool, stay hydrated and embrace your journey.