Monday, May 2, 2011

Cinco de Mayo

AP/Photo- Members of Ballet Folklorico

This Thursday is Cinco de Mayo. This Mexican Festival is the celebration of the victory at the Battle of Puebla (May 5, 1862). It is a commemoration of the victory of 5,000 Mestizo and Zapotec Indians over 6,000 of the French Foreign Legion. Major celebrations will be taking place throughout the US and Mexico.

I love celebrations and incorporating them into my everyday life. That's why I'll be making a change to this week's menu to expose my family to the festive Mexican culture.  So I'll be heading to the supermarket to grab ingredients for fajitas. The beautiful thing about making fajitas is that you can prepare some stuff in advance. My flank steak will sit in a marinade overnight. The guacamole will be made the night before and my salsa will be store bought. The veggies will be cut and stored in a plastic baggie overnight as well. That way when I return from work on Thursday, dinner should take less that 30 mins to prepare! All ingredients for the meal will be placed on the table and everyone can build their own fajita!

This is a great way to introduce your family to a different culture and have fun at dinner time. So dare yourself to try something different for dinner and have fun with your family. Be adventurous, be festive, be balanced and embrace your journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment