Sunday, January 10, 2010

Just for me...


Some mums escape to the spa, others….the bathroom down the hall (trying to hide from the kids). I would love the luxury of going to the spa weekly; unfortunately, neither money nor time allows it. Instead I opt for taking snippets of time throughout my day to relax. Whether it’s running or reading, yoga with my sis or closing my eyes at my desk for a few minutes; I take the time.  On Mondays, I escape to my women’s prayer circle and become recharged.  Since I’m a late sleeper, at night (when everyone’s asleep), I become renewed by being present with myself.

Mums love saying that they don’t have the time. If you cannot carve out time during the day, try awaking 30 minutes before the kids and spend some time with you! Use this time for you only!  I think I’m a better mum when I’ve allowed myself to relax, recharge, and renew.  I haven’t perfected the process since my ‘teenagers’ think I’m crazy at times. I like to think of myself as a work in progress.  However, if we don’t allow ourselves time, how can we conquer the mountainous task of motherhood? 
                                        
Find a hobby. Some mums take fun classes (stained glass, pottery, scrapbook, etc), join book clubs and sport teams for release.  Taking time through exercise is an inexpensive way to manage stress and reduce your risk for heart disease and stroke, so it’s important to incorporate it in your daily routine. Don’t feel guilty taking the time; instead, view it as giving your children the gift of your healthy and sane self.

Resources:

1 comment:

  1. To add, I try using meditation even when I have just a few minutes out of my day. It helps me regroup and deal with the rest of the day. Down time is important and help relieve some of the stresses that I face daily.

    ReplyDelete