Friday, June 24, 2011

Happiness comes from within...not from him!

Lie flat by Hakan Dahlstrom

“Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves.” –Helen Keller

So many of us expect our spouses to make us happy. It's unfair to place that much power on an individual. As good as we may think our spouses are...they're not THAT good. Women need to hold on to their power and stop giving it away. You are responsible for your happiness. Your happiness can be found deep within. It may surface after the worry or fear, disappointment or anger subsides. It's always there and you most often discover it when you are quiet and alone.

I love my family, however, I find happiness when I'm spending time with myself. It doesn't mean that I want to BE alone, it merely means that my happiness surfaces when I'm in a quiet space. I can enter that quiet space in the presence of others. For example, upon completing that extra mile on the treadmill at the gym, I'm happy. My accomplishment coupled with the endorphins put me in a happy space. Likewise, when I'm connected with my soul and I'm praying or meditating, I find happiness. I don't always find happiness when I pray because sometimes I'm not connected. However, when a connection occurs, I become so happy that I'm brought to tears. I also find happiness when I'm kind or when I'm able to help someone.

Stop giving  guys all the credit and reclaim your power....the power to find your happiness within. Happiness is not about receiving things and having expensive designer clothing or diamonds or the most fabulous house. Happiness is about accepting your beautiful self with all your flaws.  It's about being able to laugh at yourself when you make a mistake. It's about making the best out of  every situation and living the best life you can with what you have. "But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?" - Albert Camus. You won't be happy all the time. No one is. However, if you practice seeking it out; you'll add more happy days to your life. "Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed.
Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude."-Denis Waitley.
Be accepting, be empowered, be happy and embrace your journey.

3 comments:

  1. Love it Nicole . My happiness came in yesterday at JFK :) Loving my mom makes me happy :)
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks love. Enjoy your mum. As always I truly appreciate your support. Muah xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My happiness is a constant work in progress but I try deeply to start with the happiness I feel within. Luv this one!

    ReplyDelete