Tuesday, June 19, 2012

An Eagle flying above the storm 
 
It's been a while since I've posted. The past couple months have been challenging. Apart from all the daily activities that pervade motherhood, my older son graduated from High School. It's been a roller coaster of emotions.

I've been preparing myself for his graduation for the past year. Though I went through the process misty eyed, I still felt ready for his departure. My husband and I raised him to be thoughtful, respectful and kind. We raised him to know and love God and his human race. We taught him empathy, compassion, the power of honesty and we challenged him to follow his heart and dream big. Our work is done and he is undoubtedly an eagle. The journey was never smooth nor without hiccups. However, I know for sure that we did the best job we could over the past 18 years. He loves God, he is confident, intellectually competent and helps those in need. We embraced and documented his journey and we are satisfied with the work we've done. Now it's time for him to go out and put all those lessons into practice.

I am blessed to be married to a man who is in agreement with me on how our children should be reared.  As our son embarks upon his life's next chapter, we'll be there when he needs us. We will continue to parent from afar. However, his growing has begun, I can't protect him from hurt, disappointment and pain and I'm alright with it because I know that's part of growth. My Eagle is ready to soar.
Be loving, be encouraging & be able to let go as you embrace your journey.
The following is one of my favorite poems:

On Children


by Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.


You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.


You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.

Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;

For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.


No comments:

Post a Comment